The Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research:
• Works to reform Swedish research towards excellence and impact.
• Creates bridges between basic research and needs-motivated research
where results will be utilised.
• Supports research and postgraduate training within engineering, medicine,
and natural science in order to strengthen Sweden’s future competitiveness.
• Continuously funds 300 projects at universities – many of them in
collaboration with industry and research institutes.
• Makes targeted research initiatives, often of an inter- and multidisciplinary
• Distributes career grants to prominent research leaders, with emphasis on
• Encourages the mobility of researchers around the world, as well as between
academia, institutes, industry, healthcare, and other players in society.
• Contributes to the creation of research instruments, methods, and techniques as well as skills for research infrastructure.
• Annually distributes grants worth SEK several hundred million.